Monday, October 31, 2011

out on the ATV

The weather has not been that nice so i took the plunge and had the ATV out to do the birds. Topaz loved it and rode pillion - must get a photo. Fresco was not at all sure and would not stay on it if it moved - so he had to run alongside. A Brittany moves at 20 kph before breaking into a double suspension gallop. With this ease of movement around the farm I took the opportunity to visit the copse in Dean Pond - to check the feeder. Quite often one can find a single bird but tonight assuming things would be as normal I sent them both ahead - to be greeted by a dozen birds flying out. Hmm - just shows one must never make assumptions.

Monday saw another meet up with Steve and Sam - this time I wanted to check out a boundary hedge or two with another visit to the Dean Pond copse; I also wanted to do some considered work on Fresco's pointing. - On the way into the copse Fresco gave a lovely indication and point - as I moved forward with him a large dog fox shot out of the undergrowth and away down the far hedge - Fresco managed to find a single pheasant at teh other end - but if he pointed it I will never know, at least he didn't chase it.

Steve and I and the dogs then moved back up hill to the home wood, rape with a back wind. Both dogs found birds, immediately after I had said I thought we were to far out to find anything. Laughing Fresco got into a really nice pattern - he would drop down wind and then do a left and right cross back to me then drop down wind again. No intervention from me as I had a phone call at the time. Another timely reminder to 'trust the dog', mind I think some of the reason for the pattern is the uniformity of the field so no distractions to alter the wind or his attention.